Teeth have a tendency to lose their natural color during the course of time. This discoloration is due to the penetration of substances into the enamel of the tooth's surface. The stains can be from certain foods and beverages that you may consume – such as coffee, soda, and tea.
What is Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening is the most popular type of dental cosmetic procedure. This procedure will help to get rid of staining and discoloration from the teeth. Teeth whitening will help patients to attain the natural glow of their teeth with the help of our experts.
Why should one use this method?
The science behind the natural color of the teeth is very simple. The enamel is the outer natural layer of the teeth. The enamel covers an inner layer called dentin that is right below it. We notice the teeth’s natural color as light reflects off from the enamel.
The surface of the enamel consists of tiny pores that are capable of trapping food particles during the course of time. Regardless of following routine oral hygiene practices, it will be impossible to remove the stains caused due to the prolonged accumulation of food particles inside these pores. For those who simply can’t stand the stain, we recommend them use cosmetic whitening procedures.
Here are some of the possible reasons for staining:
- Consistent use of tobacco.
- Drinking beverages such as tea, coffee, wine, etc.
- Improper oral hygiene.
What is the procedure involved in teeth whitening?
Here is how the cosmetic whitening procedure works.
- Before the onset of any procedure, the dentist will undergo a thorough examination of the teeth.
- The teeth will be cleansed by removing any signs of decay or cavities. Whitening products will not do well when applied to damaged teeth or even restorations. Hence, it is vital that the teeth are examined and proper cleaning is done. It is advised not to perform the procedure on unhealthy teeth as it may result in further dental problems.
- The whitening gel will be applied to the teeth several times, rinsed and washed off before the next application.
In case the patient finds it comfortable to have the procedure to be done at home, dentists can provide them with trays that can help whitening gel adhere properly to the teeth.
Request an appointment with Dr. An in San Mateo, CA, for your glowing smile, today!